Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Melbourne Show

The Royal Melbourne Agricultural Show - 2010!!


Yesterday was an action packed, sensory overloading, fun yet exhausting day.


Was my Mum's 59th birthday and she loved being able to spend it with the family.


We drove and left the car in Box Hill where we met my sister & little Ruby.We caught a sardine packed train (thanks to the Grand Final) into the Showgrounds...and wondered whether paying 10 bucks each for a zone 1 & 2 ticket was actually worth not driving...especially when we could smell the body odour of all the passengers as we stood on top of each other.. squished together... holding on for dear life each time the train took off!

The Show 2010
The Show 2010
The Show 2010
We got there and Kane was immediately jumping up and down at the sight of the rides!


The rides was all he kept saying he wanted to do.
We had to tell him that we'd have lunch first and then he could go on the rides... and he was reluctantly ok with that.
The Show 2010
First thing... Kane and Luke went on were the dodgem cars together which I think is actually a value for money ride (at least compared to the rest).  The passenger doesn't have to pay and it doesn't seem to end too quickly.


Then to my horror... Kane insisted that he wanted to go on the spooky horror house ride. I was so shocked cause when I was 5 there was no way in hell you were going to find me on one of those... but Kane was so insistent.  He couldn't be convinced otherwise...even when I said it was dark and scary!  I tried to get him to take interest in another ride but he just stood staunch and wouldn't move and then even bulldozed me and pushed me towards the ticket booth!!


I think his Daddy was actually proud... cause he's always been a huge Horror fan. (where as I had nightmares for weeks after watching Pet Semetary when I was about 12!!) 
The Show 2010
We saw the animals,
the woodchopping,
the art and craft...
and was in the rides section for much of it.

The Show 2010

We completely avoided the giant showbag pavillion that had a queue forever to get in (if you can believe it - I couldn't!)
We only bought two showbags *smiles from our wallets!*


And Ruby was over the moon with her new Dora handbag. 

The Show 2010
We saw King Kong Elmo but just kept on walking when we saw the ridiculously long line waiting to see him.
Thankfully Kane had already received a cuddle from him at the Flower Show and Ruby was too young to really notice... so no tantrums ensued.
The Show 2010
Poor Ruby was stuck with an old stroller with a rusty wheel that squeeked the whole time we pushed it.  It was driving me that crazy that I even stopped by the farmer's tent to ask them if they had any RP7... sadly they didn't.


The Show 2010


Both Kane and Ruby were so great... we left the show all gushing that our kids are so well behaved (till tomorrow that is...) :)
Jumped back on the train earlier to beat the awful Grand Final traffic home.  No sardine can on the way home - thank Gawd!
The Show 2010
Listened to the last terrifying and exciting 5 minutes of Grand Final once we were back in the car.  My Dad is a big Collingwood fan and honestly... during that last 5 minutes I reckon he was driving as slow as a snail.... Then when it sounded like Collingwood was about to get a goal he nearly crashed!!
I tell you though... I'm not a big AFL fan... but if all matches and especially.. Grand Finals .. were like the game yesterday I think I'd be way more into it.

So the 2010 AFL Grand Final was a draw and the teams have to do it all over again next week. 

Dad was telling us the story of how he became a Collingwood supporter and it was all because of a tied Grand Final Match between Collingwood & Nth Melbourne that he saw in 1977.  He (along with Mum & my brother & sister) moved to Melbourne from Sydney a few years before and took no interest in the Footy.  Until his mate showed him the rules of the game during that tied match between Collingwood and Nth Melbourne.  Dad said it got his adrenalin pumping and he got the assumption that Collingwood was the underdogs.  He ended up going to the re-match that next week and supported Collingwood all the way and... the rest is history as far as the Gerard family being a Collingwood family!


Turns out from what I know... the last tie in a Grand Final was that same 1977 Collingwood one that Dad talked about.

And to top the day off... we went to our local pub for a counter meal.

Great day all round!!

No comments:

Post a Comment